Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What an Unlucky Day!

Tuesday 17/3, was an unlucky day for us ever since we moved into our condo 5 years ago. I often heard from our neighbours about incidents happened around us but never realize that it could happen to us as well.

Our house was being broken into on that day! It happened after we were out for work.

As usual I went back home around 7.00pm together with Audrey. We met our neighbour, Mr & Mrs. Soo at the car park and took the same lift to our units on level 5.

The moment we reached our unit, I noticed the padlock was opened. I was a little confused as I thought the key could only be taken out if the pad lock is locked. So, I'm sure I locked the door this morning otherwise I couldn't be holding the keys. But being too optimistic (should I say stupid indeed), I thought the pad lock mechanism has malfunctioned therefore opened by itself.

While figuring out why this could happened, I opened the front door grill and then I noticed something was amiss. I saw there was some sign of forced entry on the wooden door just beside the lock. Immediately I called my neighbours who was still opening their door. They quickly ran over and asked what happened.

I told them that the door looked like it has been broken into. Mr. Soo took a look and tried to forced open the door. OMG, we saw a door lock on the floor and my tv cabinet drawers were left opened. I ran into our master bed room and found some books lying on the floor. My wardrobe drawer was placed on my bed and its contents ransacked. All my valuable stuff had gone. Cash, some forex (balance left from travelling) and jewelleries.

After checking all other rooms, I was relieved that they were no sign of being ransacked. Then I went to the kitchen and saw a box of chicken essence on the floor. I stared at the rack for a while, wondering what went missing. To my surprise, 4 boxes (half dozen per box) of Brand's chicken essence had gone missing. Sounds funny right?

I quickly informed my hubby about the incident so that he could come back immediately. All the door locks were spoilt and I can't even lock my door at that moment. Mr.Soo was so kind to let me use his extra lock temporarily until hubby was back. Later that night, my brother in law came to help fix a new internal lock, otherwise it would be a sleepless night for us.

Many of you might be questioning what were the guards been doing that this can allowed to happened? I was also asking the same question. Many assumptions and suspicions popped up in my mind. Was any of the guard collaborated with the thiefs? Or the guard was the one who broke-in my house? The thief must be one of the resident here, most likely?

After fixing a new door with more locks the next day, we are now considering whether to install an alarm system. The alarm system must be wireless type, easy to manage and must be durable for effectiveness. Really hope that our life and belongings will be safer after taking these preventive measures.


6 comments:

sinlee said...

OMG!! Times r bad..be more careful...it's indeed good to install alarm system. Altho it might not b 100% sure tat they'll b no break in...at least when d alarm trigger, it might scare away the burglar....at least be thankful that no one was at home when they went in.

lil' bulb said...

yalor....otherwise i pengsan liaw.

JK said...

So, it's you! I was thinking who's lil'bulb the last time I received your comment. Didn't know you have started this blog. Keep in touch!

JK said...

Many break ins in my area too. This place is not safe anymore but we just have to becareful what we keep at home. People even steal milk powder from the sundry shop.

PS: the thief's wife must have just delivered and hence need the chicken essence. Haha.

lil' bulb said...

Thanks for dropping by Jo-N. Ya, just wish to keep myself updating by writting blog.

I'm suspecting the thief was a Malay otherwise my hubby will cry for his liqueur....ha ha.

If a thief's intention only to steel milk powder, I'll feel pity instead of anger to him.

Anonymous said...

Siao Wei,

So sorry to hear about your case and so sorry i just check and clear my mail (since Jan09)hahaha.
So how r u now? Kept in touch ya!