Thursday, December 10, 2009

Luk Mei Tong Shui



I cooked this last Sunday. Zero preparation as you just need to dump in all the ingredient into slow cooker with the water and turn on the switch. Then you and your family could enjoy it after 4 to 5 hours.
We took it as our dessert after dinner. But hubby complaining my tong shui (water) was too less as compare to the filing containing dried longan, pak hap, lin ci, nut, jelly mushroom and this black stuff (unknown name, refer photo below). Ok ok ok, will balance up the portion in the next cook.


This 'magic nut' is something that I was trying to explained to the shopkeeper the other day. Luckily the shop was not many customer so they could entertain me well. They only get what I mean after 15 mins of explanation using all sort of language, words and examples. I remember seeing this inside the luk mei tong shui but not all the time I got this. Sorry, I can't recall the name of this so I called it magic nut. This nut looks so hard but when you soak it with water for few minutes, the outer layer starts to turn soft and its become like the black soft jelly. Amazing right? It's tasteless so I don't understand why people putting this into luk mei tong shui..... :P

5 comments:

Lee said...

Hello Lil buld, it's called, 'Poontalay'.
My wife does the same thing too, buys this nut from the Chinese supermarket here, soak them, and later look like 'hair'....she makes 'tong suay' for me..or 'liang chi kang'.

I love this...I think it comes from Vietnam.
You have fun and keep well, Lee.
ps, I think the nick name for this nut is 'Orang hutan'.

BoeyJoey said...

Your tong sui must be very tasy with so many "liu" :-)

smallkucing said...

This bud is called buah semangkuk in Malay. Good for cough. Maybe that's why people put it in the thongsui. http://smallkucing.blogspot.com/2008/03/another-cure-for-cough.html

Dora said...

I love this dessert very much esp the cold one, very refreshing!

lil' bulb said...

Uncle Lee, I see. The nick name is weird.... :)

BJ, ya I like many 'liu' tong shui.

SK, how about name in chinese? Do you know? oh... to cure cough.

Dora, cold tong shui always the best...